Beckoning Blooms

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Lazy Man's Cabbage Rolls

This is a really easy, healthy, and tasty recipe. My grandmother gave me the original and I modified it just a bit to make it healthier. They call it Lazy Man’s Cabbage Rolls because it is a deconstructed roll that still maintains the same yummy flavors without all that hard work.

Here are the ingredients:

Cooking Spray
1 medium sized head of green cabbage, cut into 1” squares
1 large onion, diced


1 lb of extra lean ground beef (93%/ 7% at least)
½ cup instant rice (I used Minute rice)


1 ½ Tablespoons of garlic powder
1 Teaspoon of garlic salt
½ Teaspoon of ground pepper
15 oz can of diced tomatoes
15 oz can of tomato sauce
10 ¾ oz can of tomato soup (I prefer Campbell’s)


1 ½ cup of water

So here is how you prepare this meal. Preheat the oven to 350*. Spray large baking dish with cooking spray.  Cut cabbage into 1” squares, if you have a large head of cabbage as I did just use ¾ of the head of cabbage. Place cabbage into the bottom of the baking dish as shown below.


Brown ground beef with onion & seasonings until cooked well (mine was still in the cooking process in this picture.


 Add rice, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, & tomato soup to the meat mixture and bring to a boil.


Pour meat & tomato mixture over the cabbage in the baking dish.


 Add 1 ½ cups of water, cover tightly with foil, and place in the oven to bake for 40-50 minutes until cabbage is tender and the majority of the liquid is absorbed. Here is what the final product will look like!

I portioned this into 8 servings and according to my calculations it is only 4 WWP+ per serving. It is low fat, packed with veggies, and super easy to prepare. Let me know if you enjoy this Pina Family favorite!  

No comments:

Post a Comment